Dr. Gillian McIver (MA University of Toronto, PhD Roehampton University) is a filmmaker, curator and researcher on the relationships between painting and cinema in visual culture.
Gillian is the author of ART HISTORY FOR FILMMAKERS: THE ART OF VISUAL STORYTELLING (Bloomsbury 2016) the first comprehensive survey of the historical and aesthetic relationship between cinema and visual art.
She makes film, has curated many live art projects and exhibitions and ran an East London gallery. She is currently Associate Lecturer in Film at Central St Martins and the University for the Creative Arts, Farnham.
2022 Alchemy! The Steamship Project Space, London
2018 #timetoact PSVI film festival and exhibition, BFI South Bank, London
2009-2013 Studio75 London Gallery
– “Night of the Black Moon” Site specific; The Kingsland Estate, Studio75 London
– “The King’s Land” Site specific; The Kingsland Estate, Studio75 London
– Gallery artist exchange with La Clinica Mundana, Valencia
see studio75 for more information about exhibitions
1997-2009 Luna Nera, International site specific art
– “Postindustrial Baroque” Globe Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne
–“Urban Clearance”, Titanic Buildings and Gallery PS2. Belfast
– “interconnection,” Centre for Contemporary Art St Petersburg, Kronstadt Russia.
– “the derelict sensation” Midland Grand Hotel, St Pancras, London
– “Cross Encounters” Kronstadt, Centre for Contemporary Art St Petersburg, Russia.
see Luna Nera for more information
Full curator CV
Alchemy, the Steamship PS 2022
#timetoact BFI 2018
Women on Screen Picturehouse Central, London 2016
Studio75London Gallery and Screening Room 2009-2013
Black Books (at the Westminster Fine Art Library)
The Yellow Wall
Taking Over the King’s Land
Night of the Black Moon
Tatsuko Glenn Ibbitson
Cinephoto (Photomonth 2012)
Biblioteka: Nazir Tanbouli and Valentin Manz
Rivers (Photomonth 2011)
Juliet Belmas and Julian Ronnefeldt
Rip it up, Mash it up, Stick it up
Stones and Scissors
Flatscreens (with Andrea Zimmerman)
Luna Nera 1997- 2010
2010 – TINAG Festival London film screening
2008 – “Postindustrial Baroque” Globe Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne
2007 – “Lighten Up” Wysing Art Centre Cambridge.
2006 – “Generalized Empowerment” International Conference on Urban Interventions, UCL, London
2005 – “Urban Clearance”, Titanic Buildings and Gallery PS2. Belfast
– Luna Nera Video Art, 00130Gallery, Helsinki
2004 – “interconnection,” Residency Project, Kronstadt Russia.
2003 – “the derelict sensation” Midland Grand Hotel, St Pancras, London
– “Into the Deep Blue” sound/light/video Wilhelminenhofstr. 16, Berlin.
– “Cross Encounters” Kronstadt, St Petersburg, Russia.
– “EVIL ART – Return to DaDa” 291 Gallery, London.
2001 – ”Thames-Oka Project” – The Tactical Gallery & Dunn St, London
1999 – Colosseum V: The House of Detention, London
1998 – Colosseum IV: the Whitechapel Gallery, London
1997-8 – Colosseum I,II, III the Old Colosseum Theatre: London